Episode XXXVI: Music for a City (Click on link to hear the episode)
This week, I asked you the following question:
What song best describes your city, or a city you have visited? What sonically inspires you to think about the movement, architecture, and energy of a metropolis?
We got a fantastic array of responses, from San Francisco to Berlin. This week’s episode explores some of these urban-tinged songs–think of it as sonic tourism. Of course, we couldn’t fit all of the suggestions on the show, but you can access the entirety of the responses at the Sonic Landscapes Facebook group.
1. Insight – Joy Division
2. Shell of Light – Burial
3. Cities – Talking Heads
4. The Ice Dance – Bachelors of Science
5. The Sprawl – Sonic Youth
6. Take a Walk on the Wild Side – Lou Reed
7. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy) – Simon & Garfunkel
8. Wildfire – SBTRKT
9. Schwarz Zu Blau – Peter Fox
10. Trompa – Lizzara & Tatsch
11. What Makes Y’all Think – Ivan the Great
12. Envision (Ame Remix) – Osulande
13. Marathon (Peter Dundov Remix) – Namito
14. Gypsy Part of Town – Gogol Bordello
15. Wild West End – Dire Straits
16. The Guns of Brixton – The Clash
17. Cha Cha – Balkan Beat Box
18. Chicago – Sufjan Stevens
19. Atlantic City – Bruce Springsteen
Thank you to all who contributed music!