Episode XXXIV: My Dutch House is Your Dutch House
Episode XXXIV : My Dutch House is Your Dutch House (Click link to hear the program)
Spring break came and went as quickly as the Fyra Hi-speed train that circulates throughout Holland and Belgium, gliding along these small European countries’ paper-flat landscapes, bearing three audiophilic explorers–your host included–to the cities, amusement parks, all-night concerts, and clubs which would quench their apparently infinite thirst for excellent music.
Holland is a small country, around the size of the state of New Jersey, but as an exporter of electronic club and dance music, it is a giant. The Dutch seemed to us modest, diligent, and of delightfully sober dispositions. The house music which emanates with an ethereal pulse from smoky, crowded nightclubs, however, is nothing if not intoxicating. The strong Dutch presence on the modern Top 40 is testament to this music’s international impact, with artists like Afrojack, Tiesto, and Laidback Luke injecting their respective brands of the upbeat, synth-heavy, highly-danceable Dutch caste of electronic music into collaborations and clubs around the globe. To experience the true experiential potential of this music, your host and two fellow Cornellians (former guest, DJ Jolly and future guest DJ Kimbo) flew to the land of synth milk and bass honey and allowed our ears to feast like club-vultures.
This week, the intrepid music explorers at Sonic Landscapes share with you a one hour mix of Dutch House. Leave your stupid rave finger-lights at home, turn up the bass, and unbutton the top two buttons of your shirt–any more and you will be violating a sense of European modesty. Press play, and take off.
1. Zero 76 (Original Mix) – Tiësto & Hardwell
2. Flatline (Original Mix) – Seductive & Rishi Romero
3. Going to London (Original Mix) – Funkastarz
4. Like This (Royinho & Kama Qu Remix) – D-Jastic
5. Let the Bass Kick (Original Club Mix) – Umek & Beltek
6. Work It Out (Original Club Mix) – John Dahlbäck
7. Bungee (Original Mix) – Afrojack & Bobby Burns
8. Koko (R3hab Remix) – Sander van Doorn
9. Cry (Just a Little) [Olaf Basoski Remix Edit] – Bingo Players
10. A Msterdamn (Extended Edit) – The Partysquad & Afrojack
11. You’ve Got the Love (Mark Knight) – Florence & The Machine